Get the support you need to attend an IABC conference, program or event.
Show how the conference, program or event will benefit your organization, and let your supervisor know how the cost of sending you will be worth it. (Apply the same tips to request your organization pay for your IABC Greater Cincinnati membership.)
Top 10 tips:
- Be considerate of your supervisor’s time. Put your request in writing as soon as you can.
- Explain what the conference, program or event is about in a sentence or two.
- Remind your supervisor how important it is for you to be up to date in your field.
- State that you are asking for approval to attend.
- Include a website URL or link for your supervisor to check out details.
- If there are multiple sessions from which to choose, select those that will benefit the organization and your development. Explain your preferences to your supervisor.
- Mention opportunities to network with leaders and peers in your field. If prospective vendors will attend, let your supervisor know you will connect with them and learn more about what they have to offer your organization.
- Show how you can save your organization money. Take advantage of early registration or hotel group rates. (Counting pennies? Point out whenever transportation and meals are included, plus ways you can save on other expenses.)
- Let your supervisor know how you will share what you learn on your return. And be sure you do so!
- Ask for approval to attend by a deadline. Give your supervisor time to consider your request, but leave enough time to take advantage of discounts.