Save the date! Networking happy hour on Nov. 1
As part of our chapter’s commitment to provide more opportunities to network with other communicators in Cincinnati, we’re excited to host our first networking happy hour on Thursday, November 1 at Crown Republic Gastropub. Meet other Tristate professionals for casual conversation from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Crown Republic Gastropub is located at Sycamore and 8th Street downtown (720 Sycamore). There’s a garage next door for parking. There’s no charge for the event, and drinks and food are on you.
Crowdsourcing key to bootstrap content marketing
It’s a common theme among communicators: do more with less. Add to that the need for organizations to adopt content marketing, and it can seem a daunting if not impossible task. But it can be done, as Sarah Ehrnschwender, the Director of Marketing at TiER1 Performance Solutions, shared during our October 12 seminar “The Content Entrepreneur.”
Sarah walked us through how she developed a successful and robust content marketing program with a staff of only 1 and a 1/2. She offered these tips for others who need to take a bootstrap approach to creating content:
- Brand your content marketing and create a statement of purpose for your editorial calendar to align your team (your one WHY for content marketing should drive the type of content you generate).
- Suggest content topics first based on what people are talking about/asking about in the field (what content can your organization generate to fill the gaps?).
- Use crowdsourcing techniques internally to get quality content that speaks to your organization’s content marketing strategy.
Watch for more events designed to help you keep your communications skills sharp. Upcoming topics include working with agencies, incorporating cultural awareness into your communications and special competition and celebration for our chapter’s 40th anniversary.
Bob Herzog’s biggest secret: be yourself
IABC | Greater Cincinnati kicked off our 2018 – 2019 chapter year with a lunch and learn session presented by Bob Herzog, morning anchor at Local 12 TV. Herzog’s lively and engaging presentation on Thursday, September 20, highlighted three lessons on finding happiness and fun, gleaned from his unusual career trajectory:
- First, embrace your own interests and talents, even in the face of disappointing people in your life. You may not be disappointing them, or you may receive support you didn’t expect. Bob did this twice: first with his father, a cardiologist, when he chose not to continue pursuing medicine (a revelation that came to him as a college junior sitting in an organic chemistry class) and the second time with the head of a law firm he joined after becoming an attorney, when he announced his decision to leave the law firm for a low-level job at a TV station that he loved.
- Surround yourself with a network that lifts you, supports you, and helps you find your way. The right people in your life can help you piece things together and figure things out at just the right moments.
- Lastly, find fun whenever you can. Many times life throws awful things your way, personally and at work. If you can find moments where you can let go a little and be spontaneous, you may find yourself bringing happiness and inspiration not just for yourself, but to others. Not every job lets you do that, but you can start in small ways.
Three key takeaways for those seeking more fun in their lives and work:
- Be yourself
- Follow your passions